How to make macarons
Ever wanted to know how to make Macarons? Once you’ve mastered this basic French Macaron recipe you can then create any colour and flavour you like.
Ingredients for French Macarons
200g Icing Sugar
125g Egg Whites (Approx 3 eggs)
40g Caster Sugar
Pinch of Salt
Piping Bag with a 1cm nozzle
2 baking trays lined with parchment or alternatively a macaron mat.
1. Blend the icing sugar and almonds together for 30 seconds and set aside.
2. Using a handheld whisk beat the eggs and pinch of salt until they reach a stiff peak.
3. Whisk at a medium speed, adding the caster sugar one teaspoon at a time. Ensure that you mix well before adding each teaspoon. The mixture should be white, thick and shiny
4. If you want to colour your French macarons, now is the time to do this. Add colour using a toothpick and tub of colouring paste and mix thoroughly.
5. With a large metal spoon, fold the ground sugar and almond mixture with the egg whites until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
6. Fill a piping bag and pipe circles onto a baking sheet. Circles should be approx 5 cm wide.
French Macaron Mats are really great for ensuring perfect circles and you can buy them on Amazon and most cake stores.
7. Tap the bottom of the baking sheet/mat once on the work top to avoid any bubbles.
8. Leave the French macarons for approx 45 minutes or until they have set and formed a dry shell. Make sure they are not sticky to touch.
9. Preheat the oven to 170 ° C and bake for approx 10 minutes on the middle shelf.
10. Once baked and cooled. Fill with ganache, jam or buttercream and refrigerate overnight then devour!
If your French macarons aren’t perfect at first don’t give up. Practice makes perfect! Our next blog will feature different ideas for fillings and lots of tips to ensure your macarons turn out perfect.