I am very happy to be writing my first ever guest post as a blogger and especially pleased to have been asked by Cake Cetera who have some great products, recipes and tips for bakers at every level. I’m an amateur baker and my blog CakeJunki covers baking, cake decorating, lifestyle, home, garden & family….something for everyone.
My post for Cake Cetera readers is my recipe for Lemon Drizzle Mug Cake. I am a huge fan of mug cakes, they are so simple and quick to do. You can have an instant cake in minutes and everything is mixed and baked in the mug so no mess! If I’m ever craving cake and can’t be bothered baking a big cake (which means getting my mixer and cake tins out and having to wash them all after!), I can mix and bake a mug cake in minutes and have instant cake – every cake lovers dream!
Although mug cakes are usually served in the mug they are baked in (even less washing up) this cake is turned out onto a plate so the crunchy lemon topping can be poured all over it and it runs down the sides and soaks into the cake. The sugar sits on top of the cake to give a lovely crunch when you bite into it – perfect!
2tbs soft butter
1 medium egg
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp caster sugar
4 tbsp self raising flour
zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
– Put the butter in a mug or small bowl and heat in a microwave until the butter is melted, about 20-30 seconds should be long enough
– Add the egg, lemon juice and vanilla essence and beat well with a fork until everything is well mixed together
– Add the sugar, flour and lemon zest to the mixture and beat until you have a smooth consistency
– Grease a large mug (or line with cling film) and pour in the batter
– Microwave for 2 minutes (600W), 1 minute 45 seconds (800W) or 1 minute 30 seconds (1000W)
– Turn out onto a serving plate to cool (remove cling film if you have used it)
– Mix together the sugar and lemon juice in a bowl then while the cake is still warm (but not hot), pour the topping all over the upside down cake. The lemon juice will soak through the cake and the sugar will sit on top
If you fancy having a go at more Microwave Mug Cakes then you could try a chocolate one too.
Love Cake? Cake Cetera send cake , French macarons and lots more tasty treats direct your desk or door in the UK. Check out our full range of yumminess here