Stand Up To Cancer
“Stand Up To Cancer Day works to heighten the profile of research into cancer remedies and cures, to raise the funds available to back this research and to bring together the best teams of scientists and experts, removing obstacles to their progress.
We can all do our bit to stand up to cancer, so today consider donating to the cause, get involved by raising money or helping out with one of the many charities and initiatives working to provide treatment, research and support, and most of all, honour and remember those who have been affected by the disease.”
This week in Cake-Cetera HQ, we have been working alongside MacMillan Cancer to promote their ‘World’s Biggest Coffee Morning’ which will take place on Friday 27th September. We made a giant banana and oat cupcake, topped with natural yoghurt and fresh fruit for Olympic runner Freya Ross, as well as prepping 400 cupcakes for an exciting photoshoot with Carol Smillie! We had lots of cupcakes left over so donated them to the hardworking staff at Kilbryde Hospice and left with that nice warm fuzzy feeling.
If you want to host a coffee morning you can sign up here: http://coffee.macmillan.org.uk or you can go along to a local public event.
Here’s a wee link to runner Freya Ross and her healthy cupcake that we made: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/healthy-cake-wont-dent-freyas-cancer-cash-bid-135893n.22110238
Try out Freya’s yummy banana and oat cupcakes for yourself:
Serves : 12 muffins
- 200g plain flour
- 80g porridge oats
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 175ml milk
- 75ml vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250g mashed bananas
Prep:15min › Cook:20min › Ready in:35min
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg lightly. Stir in the milk, oil and vanilla. Add the mashed banana and combine thoroughly. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until just combined. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases and divide the batter among them.
- Bake at 200 C / Gas 6 for 18 to 20 minutes.