Easy Chocolate Whoopie Pies
Whoopie pies are an American treat that is halfway between a cookie and a cake, they’re made up of two sandwiches held together with a filling such as buttercream, ganache or, in this case, marshmallow. Yummy! x
- 125g butter
- 150g chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
- 225g sugar
- 3 free-range eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- ½tsp baking powder
- 18 marshmallows
- icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water).
- Whisk the sugar, eggs and vanilla together in a separate bowl then fold in the chocolate mixture.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder together, then fold into the chocolate and egg mixture.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag and pipe onto the baking tray (the mixture should make 36 biscuits, depending on size). Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside half of the biscuits on a cooling rack. Turn the remaining biscuits over and place a marshmallow on top of each. Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes, or until the marshmallows have softened.
- Remove from the oven and set aside on a cooling rack to cool slightly. Press the cooled biscuits on top.